Year 5 & 6 Quicksticks Hockey
The purpose of this friendly event is to give children the opportunity to play competitive games for fun. Therefore:-
- Quicksticks hockey balls will be used to give children more of a chance to control it and play it
- Games will be played 5 a side to create lots of room on the pitch and therefore lots of time on the ball
- Teams should organise their players into 3 attackers and 2 defenders. There should only ever be 3 attackers in the D against 2 defenders. That way, lots of children get to enjoy the success of scoring as there will be room for them to use their skills. The opposing attackers should be waiting further up the pitch.
- There are no goal keepers.
- Games will be played for 10 minutes in one direction only, no subs. Children need time on the pitch to work out their position and what they should be doing. Everyone in the squad should take a turn at missing a game, just like High Five netball.
As the games will be played on the hard court areas then trainers will be worn.
All players MUST wear shin pads.
All players must keep two hands on the stick with hands apart for control, push passes and dribbling only, no hitting.
All players MUST be taught how to tackle safely before they come to this event.
This is the one event that the Primary Schools run themselves; we are merely providing the venue. Primary teachers are therefore in charge of ensuring that the games are played fairly and in the right spirit.
Malmesbury will provide umpires for the games as far as possible. Some leaders will be more experienced than others.
This competition is a Level 2 event (area) and progression can be made to the Level 3 (county) competition by the winners and runners-up.
Level 3 competition play-offs will be held at Devizes School
At the completion of the festival we may need to confirm if the winning/runners-up schools are available to compete at the Level 3 play-offs – if not we will invite schools in order of finishing positions to represent the cluster.
More images in the right sidebar
Add booking form either above or below photos
The Avon Teaching School Alliance is an inclusive organisation which welcomes other schools and other institutions to our partnership.
Membership is available to all those wishing to contribute to and/or benefit from the work and ethos of the Alliance.